Sometimes you have to leave your company for some reason. And as a foreign worker, before your last day, you may need to cancel/ shortened your working visa. But, before you are able to do so, you should clear your tax. And sometimes, clearing your tax might be a hassle for some people if you don’t have any information on how to do it.
Clearing tax in Malaysia is actually quite simple if you have the check list. So, I’ll share with you my check list for the tax clearance in Malaysia.
What you need to prepare:
- Entry and Departure Schedule : you may record your entry and departure schedule based on the stamps on your passport. Yes, I know it’s sooo hard especially if you are a frequent traveller, but there’s no choice! psstt, Excel comes handy to solve this problem, feel free to use it)
- Flight ticket to exit Malaysia OR future company offer letter
- Acknowledgement receipt e-BE for last year assessment : Lost your receipt? don’t worry, you can get it by logging in to ezhasil website in https://ez.hasil.gov.my/CI/
- BE Form : you can also get it from ezhasil
- Original Passport
- Passport photocopy (Full pages)
- EA Form from previous year: That’s why, don’t throw away your EA Form after you declare your tax! In some cases, you might need to present ALL of your EA form during your employment in the current company
- By any chance you have claimed for any tax relief or tax rebate, you may need to present the original copy of the receipt. So, don’t lose your receipt, otherwise you might need to pay the penalty
What your current HR need to prepare:
- Leaver form (Cp21) : If your HR is experienced in handling expatriates, then this form will be familiar to them
- EA Form for current year assessment
That’s it! what you need to do now is:
- Call LHDN at 1-800-88-5436 (LHDN) and then ask where is your tax file located. Because you need to go to the specified branch to clear your tax
- Go to the branch that they specified, and don’t forget to bring all of the documents I mentioned earlier
- Go to the counter and just tell them you want to do your tax clearance, and you all set
- Typically, they will return your tax clearance documents after 5-7 working days, so please plan your last date in your current company accordingly.